When time is short, Money Habitudes provides:
- a quick ice breaker (5-10 minutes)
- a conversation starter or money personality game (10-20 minutes)
- an exercise transitioning to a skills-based program or in-depth discussion (20-30 minutes)
When a class, seminar or workshop is 45 minutes to 2 hours:
- Stand-alone activity. Play Money Habitudes and interpret the money personality cards. The more time, the greater the opportunity for processing the interpretation, doing additional activities and in-depth discussion.
- An integrated module within a larger program (e.g., a weekend marriage retreat or a series of financial classes.)
- Expands on using the tool as a money personality game or test; will typically include discussing psychology of money and how we develop our Money Habitudes personality types. Also, add goal-setting and exploring obstacles to success based on one’s money types.
- Allows for more group discussion and class activities. (See the Money Habitudes Guide for Professionals for more suggestions and information.)
- Typically used as professional training or train-the-trainer for financial educators, financial planners, therapists, career coaches, life planners, social workers, etc.
- Provides time for the above plus case studies and in-depth discussions of next steps.
- In teaching situations, provides time for class discussion and application to real life situations, particularly for couples, as well as more discussion.
Unit of study
- Four to eight classes or workshops of 45-75 minutes each. Lesson plans explore different aspects of one’s relationship with money and the effect of that on relationships and financial goals for teens and young adults. Complements many state standards for personal finance and economics.
Effective Regardless of Age, Income and Education
The cards use simple language and broadly applicable lifestyle statements. They also require no knowledge of finance so they are routinely used by professionals working with wealthy, highly educated clients as well as low-income (LMI), low-education populations. Different age-appropriate versions of the cards are used from high-school through senior citizens.
- Intentional financial management to successfully reach short and long-term financial goals.
- Stronger, healthier relationships because people learn to talk about money issues in a positive, constructive way, understand how they balance and complement each other and discover the underlying issues motivating financial behavior.
- Increased self-awareness, personal growth and insights for success.
- Realization of financial influences on career choices and development.
- A counseling, coaching, planning, advising or educational relationship working with individuals, couples or families.
- Group and classroom programs for training, education or support.
- Informal discussions from the boardroom to the bedroom.
- Financial Professionals: Focused on working with clients to invest, basic money management or addressing debt. This includes those who are financial planners, financial educators, and counselors as well as human resources professionals who lead investing or benefits workshops.
- Relationship Experts: Focused on personal or professional growth, relationships or life transitions. Includes psychologists, social workers, counselors, marriage and family therapists, financial therapists, clergy and coaches.
- Educators: Focused on financial competency, life skills, leadership, psychology and business, especially in high school, after-school programs, college and continuing education.
- Community and Faith-Based Facilitators: Focused on financial stewardship, marriage preparation, marriage enrichment and youth programs.
- Individuals and Couples: Focused on understanding what influences their financial decisions and how that helps achieve or sabotage successful personal, relationship, career or financial outcomes.
Because this one financial toolkit can be – and is often – used over and over and because it can be employed in a variety of different financial, relationship and career programs, it is a cost effective package.